History

Eastwood has had many outstanding players representing the Club in State and even National competitions. Most ‘capped’ member is Edna Gibson, Captain of the New South Wales Interstate

MacRobertsonShield The MacRobertson Shield.

Team in 1963 who also played in the coveted Interstate Cup held in Queensland, winning the 'English Bronze Medal'. She went on to represent Australia in the MacRobertson International Croquet Shield held in Australia in 1969 between England (winner), New Zealand and Australia. Edna also was a dedicated club member, serving in various voluntary roles, including as President for a total of 15 years between 1956 and 1973.

Another former member who gave admirable service to both the Club and croquet in Australia was Winifred (Win) Dickinson, author of ‘A History of the Australian Croquet Council 1949-1986’, and President of Eastwood Croquet Club for 6 years between 1966 and 1980. She also served on the State and National croquet associations in various volunteer capacities and was vested as a Life Member of Eastwood Club during her membership. For her dedication and achievements, Win was awarded the Order of Australia Medal in 1984 and entered on the Australian Sporting Roll of Honour in 1996.
The history of competition and volunteer work on behalf of croquet in Australia and Eastwood Croquet Club in particular has continued over the years, with members sometimes achieving state and national representation and even awards, and recognition and appreciation from members for their evident love of the game of croquet, their sportsmanship, and for commitment and service to the Club.

The Eastwood Croquet Club was inaugurated in 1935 and began life at the present site at the beginning of 1936, following the construction of the Croquet members’ pavilion and courts by Ryde Council.

A number of local businessmen and women had for some years been petitioning state and local governments for a place and facilities to play croquet, and were finally successful with the dedication of a site and an allocation of funds in the early 1930’s. The site was the north-east corner of the much larger Eastwood Park.

Eastwood Park itself is part of what was long known as “Love’s Farm” from an early (1795) land grant. After a varied history, the park was proclaimed in 1920 and Ryde Council appointed as trustee. Eastwood Park was finally vested in the Council in 1978. Part of Eastwood Park in the early 1900’s, including the courts of Eastwood Croquet Club, was a lake which in 1929 was filled to alleviate unemployment, and also to clean up pollution arising from the growing number of shops and housing in the area.

The croquet pavilion and two courts were constructed during 1935 and officially opened in December with a Croquet Lawn and Pavilion in December that year.

Early Crown Lands Department aerial survey photographs taken in 1943 show the croquet courts and members pavilion, together with five small shelters used by the players, and the rose garden to the south of the courts. All of these features remain today essentially as then, except for one shelter demolished due to termite infestation some years ago, and evolutionary changes in the rose garden.